Saturday, July 16, 2011

Day 1 - 2 in Penang

After getting picked up I got home, unloaded my baggage and took a bath quickly. Saw a piece of shit at home (I don't wanna elaborate on that). I got out of the house quickly to go over to the mainland to get my haircut. In the end I was the last to get the haircut and later we went to have some laksa for lunch before sending me for facial treatment (my face was a lunar surface after exams, and no please dun talk about the decepticons hiding underneath)

At night we had dinner with the rest of the family and they commented on my face n hair bla bla... I had to say the amount I ate for this one dinner is enough to cover two dinners in Melbourne in quantity. Later I realized Priscilla and Chris were sleeping in my room while I had to sleep in Chris's room (which had no bed and was nearly filled to the max by boxes of stuff) on a mattress (I suppose sleeping anywhere like a mattress or a sofa was better than sleeping next to Phoebe).

Before I got to get any sleep at all, mum asked me and Chris to start working at 12am Midnight. Work? Get 7 holes dug into the ceiling so we can insert hooks to hold the 'ang chai' (a piece of cloth hung over an entry which is significant in Chinese families) before the pre-wedding dinner the next day. Shirts off and hammers plus drill bits in our hands, we hammered away for nearly 2 hours to get 7 puny shallow holes which were, in our opinion, a total waste of time.

Later we were told to go and sleep. Before I had realized it, I had been without sleep for over 40 hours... from 8am of 23rd June until 2am of 25th June. I was so tired I was out like a light when I hit the sack.

The next day I had to be woken up by my mother and we went to do something in the morning (I forgot what) while the other guys await the coming of the tent building crew and the wedding car (Mercedes).

The Mercedes came but we found out later the Hai Lee ppl only came to check what sorts of tent they were going to put up at our house. They only came back later in the day to put up the tents. While we waited for the next assignment, we tried to hang up the red streamer cloth or 'ang chai' mentioned above and guess what? All the pins came falling down... we were all frustrated and desperate... CABLE TIES TO THE RESCUE!!!... we grabbed several of them and 'zup zup zup' the streamer went up like a charm.

Next we drove dad's car plus the Mercedes to De Santia to get them wrapped up for the next day, and we also parked the cars at The View due to better cover and security. When we returned the catering was here but we were too preoccupied with other jobs.

Later on I helped my mother with arranging the seating for tomorrow night's banquet. I swear, even the hardest Construction Management didn't prepare me for this 'seemingly simple' job. Mum had done most of the sorting and I only had to change the names and places of some people. Still, it was slow work. I had to depend on mum to give me the names of the people since we normally call them uncle, auntie, ah poh, ah peh... mum was later called down to entertain the guests and I went AWOL since mum wasn't around to provide me with information. I found myself another job when I picked up Chris's Sony Nex-5 and started taking pictures of guests who have arrived. While taking photos I was constantly asked about my life in Melbourne.

Later on I put down the camera as my gang arrived (Abdi, Lee, Hui and CS) and so I went to have some food with them. We had a long long chat about inti, how good it was... how shit it was... who are leaving inti soon... bla bla. One stupid question I HATED the most was 'Hey when are you going back?'. Damn you peeps who asked me that. I wouldn't mind u asking me 'How long are you back for?' but that previous question made me feel unwelcomed back in Penang.

As I was chatting with my 'Heng Dai' (brothers or close male friends in Cantonese), Chris's own 'Heng Dai' arrived from KL. All the way from KL to penang just to support my brother. I salute these great fellows. The week after next I will find out that Anthony sped up to Penang at 180km/h in the Toyota Vios LOL.

After everyone left I had to continue my work of changing the names of the guests e.g. Uncle Tong to Mr. XXX XXXX Tong and family. With Daryl's suggestion we sorted out the last guests and I ended up sleeping at 3am instead. I was laughing at myself working harder these few days than during my exams combined. Oh well, off to sleep I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment